Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > If you have a decent UPS, *it* will turn the machine back on later, after
> > main power returns and it has charged the batteries enough.
>
> if a machine goes down ... personally, i want it to stay down
> as thre is not thing that critical that it needs to come up in
> 5min after a 3min blackout... only to go down again in 30sec
> and this time not have enuff to to have recharged the battery

If you did it right, the power can come and go as it wishes.  If the machine
goes up, it is because the UPS has enough energy stored for it to do another
clean shutdown if needed.   And since it takes some time to recharge the
batteries, this won't be a load flicking scenario.

Otherwise just program the UPS to not turn the load on before it is 90%
charged or something.  We are talking about small loads in this thread, so
the battery time can easily and unexpensively be on the hours range.

> power failures may or may not come in multiple surges and blackouts

Power failures due to many sorts of power line shorts or lightning strikes,
and almost all types of grid reconnects are *expected* to come with multiple
surges (ringing) except in very controlled environments (and the city grid
ain't one).  This is the norm, not the exception.

> > I would NEVER recommend anyone to buy a US$ 10 surge protector and believe
> > they are even remotely safe from lightning damage because of that US$10
> > gadget...
>
> didnt say that either ...

Yes, you did. Or at least it *looks* like you meant it.  Do be more careful
with what you write.

> > > and for good high end ups .. powerware/lieberts are better
> >
> > Agreed. The big Powerware units are the best you can get for datacenter-
> > grade UPS around here, AFAIK.
>
> yup... and not much more $$$ than the crappy name brand fancy color red
> brochures you see :-)

Huh?  We are talking about stuff in the US$ 10k...100k range, protecting
loads on the US$ 50k to several million US$ range.  This stuff is not
specified or bought by average-joes, and even the suits know to ask for
references from other datacenters, banks and large deployments at least
similar to their own, which they *do* check.

Crappy brands don't survive on this market segment, at least not in Brazil.
And they *do* get sued out of their living daylights if the UPS breaks down
while everything was being done to the book re. maintenance, and the
protections in the unit don't work.  Heck, the maintenance contractor will
help you prove the vendor's fault as if it were his life on the line,
because it is (if it was not the vendor's responsability, it is the
maintenance contractors!).

There is no such a thing such as "we are not responsible for what our
equipment does to your load" in this market segment (at least not here.
Maybe the US is insane to the point where this would be possible).  I am not
talking about small consumer Powerware boxes, I have no experience with
those, and no reason to believe they are any better than a same or slightly
more expensively priced APC.

> 	- you're paying for fancy brochures and pr and ads or you can
> 	buy other name-brand stuff that doesnt need to "advertise"

Powerware advertises like crazy, and it does so in very expensive and
exclusive communication media and trade shows.  Ones that APC dares not even
approach in Brazil (because they do not sell data-center grade stuff here
yet).  Try again.

It's just that Powerware's **high end** stuff is as good as they advertise
it to be.

> > You *do* pay for the quality though.  I had a quote of about US$ 25k for a
> > 60kVA unit about an year ago (here in Brazil).
>
> sao paulo or rio ... or ipannema ??... :-)

Neither :P

  Henrique Holschuh