Re: 2.6.13 breaks vga= support?

L.V.Gandhi said...
> On 10/9/05, a.list.address@gmail.com <a.list.address@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've been using 2.6.11 with Splashy, passing "vga=791" with GRUB. I
> > upgraded to 2.6.13, and now if I pass "vga=791", it boots blind, so to
> > speak: nothing is displayed on the screen at all, but from watching
> > hard disk activity I can tell it's booting.
> >
> > I found this thread:
> >

> > http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/c56d269e6e2640d5/b3eb81312b468d39?lnk=st&q=2.6.13+vga%3D791&rnum=2&hl=en#b3eb81312b468d39
> >
> > I'm far from an expert on something like this. Do I understand this
> > to mean that 2.6.13 doesn't support passing VESA modes with "vga="?
> >
> > I use 2.6.13 with vga. There may be something wrong in kernel config.
> see for these in kernel config
> Graphics Support --->
> [*] Support for frame-buffer devices
> [*] VESA/VGA graphics support
> Console Display Driver Support --->
> [*] VGA text console
> [*] Video mode selection support
> [*] Frame-buffer Console Support
> [*] Select compiled in fonts
> [*] VGA 8x8
> [*] VGA 8x16

I just had the same problem. It doesn't appear to be related to the
kernel, because I experienced the same problem with a recompile of a
2.12 kernel. Rather it appears to be a change in one of the test
packages - because I don't get this behaviour when compiling on sarge.

The fix is to set:

Device drivers/Graphics support/Console display driver
support/Framebuffer Console Support

to y instead of m.

--
Best,