Failed Installation

Okay, why is this particular system being such a bitch to get Debian
installed on.  I'm using the etch net install CD, and get as far as
"Install Base System".  However, that step ultimately fails.  Here's a
"screenshot" of the error (no way in hell am I going to write all that
crappe down)

http://photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/?action=view&current=Debian-Failed-Install.jpg

Anyway, I tried to follow the advice given in the error and
check /target/var/log/bootstrap.log, but there is no such file.
Thereisn't even a /target/var/log for that matter.

Thing is, I had installed Debian on this before (can't remember if it
was before or after Sarge went stable), and the installation went
painlessly.  As far as I can remember, the only change that has been
made since the first time is the CD-ROM drive.  That was upgraded from
just a basic old 32x drive to a Creative PC-DVD Dxr2 drive.  I know the
drive is good, because that is what I initially booted with, plus the
"Check the CD-ROM Integrity" option in the Debian Installer shows that
the drive and the CD is good.

So, how can I continue this install?