Re: Should users have to manually modprobe to use standard peripherals?

> I think hotplug detects new hardware ...

Yeah, but according to other traffic on this list, hotplug no longer works
with udev as of 2.6.12, which is what I'm using.  Sorry, false alarm.

> It might be interesting
> 1. what messages you get when plugging the device in

Printer:

Oct  9 20:58:56 localhost kernel: usb 5-1.6: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 13
Oct  9 20:59:14 localhost kernel: usb 5-1.6: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 14

Tungsten:

Oct  9 20:59:32 localhost kernel: usb 5-1.6: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 15
Oct  9 20:59:43 localhost kernel: usb 5-1.6: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16

Of course, in both cases the necessary kernel modules are already installed.

> 2. whether the vendor and product id are detected correctly (somewhere in /proc)

Where to look?

> 3. whether there are the right entries for these vendor and product id's in (see
> above).

I'm gathering from the messages here that udev is the place to report this
bug?
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.