Re: How to completely reinstall a package?

Tim McDonough wrote:
> In fact I cannot even find the startx command on the machine.

There are several different ways to get the X window system running on
machines.  One of the really nice things about Debian is that it is a
full framework for software management.  You can install as much as
you want or as little as you want.

The startx script wrapper around xinit is an oldie but goodie.
(However, I just always called xinit directly.  Since I have my own X
config I did not need startx to use the system configuration.)  If you
want to log into the text console and start X using it then you
probably want to install the minimum X11 system.  These would be most
conveniently pulled in by the x-window-system-core meta package.

  apt-cache show x-window-system-core
   This metapackage provides the essential components for a standalone
   workstation running the X Window System.  It provides the X libraries, an X
   server (except on the S/390 architecture), a set of fonts, and a group of
   basic X clients and utilities.

   Higher level metapackages, such as those for desktop environments, can
   depend on this package and simplify their dependencies.

   It should be noted that a package providing x-window-manager and a package
   providing x-terminal-emulator should also be installed to ensure a
   comfortable X experience.

So I would pick these three with fvwm as my personal preference.  The
classic choice there would be twm.  But others choose ones like
kde/gnome for a fluff-and-glitter desktop environment.

  apt-get install x-window-system-core xterm fvwm

And those higher level packages mentioned in the description would be
things like kdm/gdm/xdm for a graphical login session manager.  I
prefer gdm currently for a good graphical login client.

  apt-get install gdm

One useful tool for browsing through the dependencies is apt-cache.
The useful commands are "show" to show the discription and headers.
But "showpkg" will show reverse dependencies.

  apt-cache show x-window-system | grep Depends
  Depends: x-window-system-core, lbxproxy, proxymngr, twm, xdm, xfs, xfwp, xnest, xprt-xprintorg, xterm, xvfb

As can be seen here x-window-system depends upon several things like
xdm that I don't want installed.  So it is not useful to me.  But it
depends upon x-window-system-core.  Hmm... That should draw your
attention.  Let's look at x-window-system-core.

  apt-cache show x-window-system-core | grep Depends
  Depends: xserver-xfree86, xlibmesa-dri, xlibmesa-gl, xlibmesa-glu, xfonts-base (>> 4.0), xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-scalable, xbase-clients, xutils

That is one way to be led to find xserver-xfree86 and other useful
stuff.  But at this point you probably want all of those so I would
definitely install x-window-system-core at the least to get those.

Bob