Re: How to completely reinstall a package?

Tim McDonough wrote:
> the better capabilities of the monitor so I, perhaps unwisely, decided
> I could simply uninstall then reinstall X-Windows and KDE.
> apt-get --purge remove kde
> apt-get --purge remove x-window-system

Those are just meta packages.  They exist only to depend upon other
packages and it is those other packages that do that actual work and
hold the fun stuff.  If you had purged xserver-xfree86 and then
reinstalled it then you would have had something.  But of course you
can just reconfigure it.

  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

> I'm certain this is some sort of classic newbie screw-up. Would
> someone explain what I've done wrong and how I might re-install things
> properly? Any help would be appreciated.

Actually by purging and reinstalling those meta-packages you
effectively did nothing because those packages are not really
important by themselves.  So the only thing wrong you did in the end
was just missing the targer.

Bob