Re: Remote linux desktop access

--- "Antonio Rafael C. Paiva" <arpaiva@cnel.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know how to have X access remotely through ssh?
> If I open a terminal and connect using ssh I can open specific
> application but not the whole desktop environment, that I would like
> to map to a different display on my machine.
> (I'm using X.org.)

You could use vnc or xdmcp, depending on what you want exactly.  vnc
will allow you to leave yourself logged in and then access the session
remotely while xdmcp will allow you to log into a new session of a
remote machine as if it were local.  You can set up xdmcp via the gui
login screen and this may be of some use:

  <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/>

I'm not sure about the security implications of this if you are doing
it over the internet.  Chapter 3 of this HowTo says "using XDMCP to
display X across Internet is basically a no-no" but maybe you can
tunnel it through SSH.  I haven't read it in too much detail, but that
seems to be what it is suggesting.

Hope this helps,

Joe