Re: Should I try Etch?

Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I'm still rather new to Linux, and I've been running Debian Sarge for a
> couple of months. However, I am eager to try the new features in Gnome
> 2.12, and I remember someone on the list writing that it ships with
> Sebian Etch.
>
> So I thought I would try running Etch, and I had some questions:
>
> [1] What problems am I likely to encounter running Etch? Is it really
> something I should stay away from as  a new user? (The box I want to
> install on is for experimentation, and isn't mission critical.)

If you're happy to accept possible breakage, install apt-listbugs, and
check bugs.debian.org before reporting bugs, then yes.

> [2] Are there other advantages I'll get from running Etch, other than
> Gnome 2.12? Is Etch running OpenOffice 2.0?

Please see packages.debian.org.

> [3] I burned all 14 CDs of the Debian Sarge distro. Will I need to
> download all of the CDs for the Etch distribution, or can I reuse some
> of those package CDs?

Any reason that you can't dist-upgrade?

Overall, it seems to me that wanting to try a few new features in a
window manager is not much of a reason for upgrading the entire OS.

I would say that if you're that new to Linux, then stick with stable
until you are more familar.