Re: Synaptic Package Manager vs. RPM

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 05:39:43PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:

--- Jeremy Merritt <brookvegas@yahoo.com> wrote:

What makes Synaptic different from RPM in "concept"?

The question you're really asking is:

"What makes .deb different from .rpm in concept."

... because Synaptic is just a GUI-frontend.  The tools behind it
(dpkg, and friends) do all the real work.

Can you manage any packages via RPM in Debian? I saw there was some
kind of RPM utility but I never worked with it much.

There's "alien", but you shouldn't need it, and I wouldn't recommend
you use it on any critical packages you're going to need to install. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a .deb file of an RPM already in
existance, for most packages.

It should also be noted that alien converts the RPM package to a .deb
package that can be installed with dpkg, and therefore be managed by the
package system. You can install packages directly via rpm sometimes but
I wouldn't recommend it, since they will not be registered with the
debian package system.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/