Re: drm and radeon module load problems

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 06:03:24PM +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> hi,
>
> >What does dmesg say about agp?
> actually, nothing... it's weird, because agpgart should be compiled into
> the kernel

Hmm, that is weird!

> >In my AMD64 the AGP comes from:
> >Device Drivers --->
> >  Character devices --->
> >    /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
> >      AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
> >
> >If I have
> >Processor type and features --->
> >  IOMMU support
> >selected, then the /dev/agpgart is automatically selected, and I don't
> >have the 'AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support' available.
> thanks for information. you're right, with IOMMU support disabled i can
> see both /dev/agpgart switch and amd 64bit on-cpu gart support. when
> iommu is enabled, both of these switches seem to be activated by default
> and they cannot be changed in the x/menuconfig. do you think it is ok?

Yes I think it is ok. Unfortunately I don't have any further info about
IOMMU, but the help for IOMMU says that it includes a driver for the AMD
Opteron/Athlon64 IOMMU, so I guess that you can have agp driver for AMD
on-CPU GART with or without IOMMU.

> >Did you mention which chipset you have, maybe I missed it. Anyway I
> >don't think that a VIA chipset wouldn't be supported. Even my K8T800Pro
> >worked with 2.6.12 and lspci lists it in 2.6.14.
> i have via k8t890. i just realized that the kernel recognizes many
> features that the last one missed... regarding the agp, it worked fine
> with 2.6.11...

At least 2.6.14 has something for the K8T890. You can just `grep -i
k8t890 /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/agp/amd64-agp.c` to see if it is in
the 2.6.12.

> >You can always try the 'agp_try_unsupported=1' option (if you use agp as
> >a module). If the agp is in the kernel, give that as a kernel parameter.
> you mean to give agp_try_unsupported during boot? what should it do?

If you have the agp compiled in the kernel, you pass a kernel parameter
during a boot.

If you use GRUB, edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Find the line that says
# kopt=
and append agp_try_unsupported=1 at the end of that line (do not remove
the hash mark in the beginning of the line!).
e.g. # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 agp_try_unsupported=1

After editing, run `sudo update-grub`.

If you use lilo, edit /etc/lilo.conf
append it to the line which says
append=
e.g. append="root=/dev/hda1 agp_try_unsupported=1"

If you compile it as a module, just make a file into the
/etc/modprobe.d/ directory and add a line
options agpgart-amd64 agp_try_unsupported=1
e.g. `sudo echo "options agpgart-amd64 agp_try_unsupported=1"
>/etc/modprobe.d/agp`

> >Once again, check what dmesg says about agp.
> nothing :(
>
> >I don't know what might have changed between 2.6.11 and 2.6.12
> >concerning the agp, sorry :(
> bad to know :( fortunately the card driver runs ok without the kernel
> module... but no hw acceleration here :( and newer version of ati driver
> (8.14.13) is not usable - it crashes XFree when i move the mouse :( weird...
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Lubos
> _@_"