Want to move from root LVM/LILO to LVM/Grub

Hey all,
I kind of got myself into a pickle. I just installed Debian Sarge on a new server, and I used the expert mode for installation. That all went fine, and I created one large partition for LVM, and created a root partition in a volume group, so right now my root partition is at /dev/mapper/vg00-root. However, I didn't see an option to install grub as the default boot loader in expert mode during the installation, so I went ahead and installed lilo. This worked fine, and I was able to boot the system without a problem. However, now I want to install grub again, because I like it more. But when I run grub-install /dev/sda, I get the following error message:

hostname:~# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
/dev/mapper/vg00-root does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

and it refuses to install.  How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Jason Martens