Re: GRUB woes (install to hde)

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Matt Price wrote:

non-identical, old disks which likely have bad sectors (so don't want to
dd if=/dev/hde of=/dev/hdf or similar).

good ...  than use tar or cp  or any other fs dependent copying

so then, question is:  how to run grub, preferably non-interactively,
in such a way that it actually works (which I guess means, in such a
way that it finds the stage2 file in /boot/grub).

assuming that you can boot it as /dev/hde, /dev/hdf, it does NOT
mean that it will boot as /dev/hda

trivial way to make it boot as /dev/hda:
	- assuming you are currently booting from /dev/hda to make the
	clone
		dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hde bs=446 count=1

I just checked, and with a floppy at least, it preserved the last
bytes on the disc. So It appears that Alvin is correct. This
should not wipe the PT portion of the MBR.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.