Remote install of Debian failing

Hello,

Some time ago I did a successful remote install of Debian overtop of RH9. I took copious notes. This time, however, I am unable to get the install to work. I have tried two different methods.

(1) using http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/DebianChrootInstall
while running dpkg-reconfigure --install base-config the system says that it has run out of space while downloading the package lists. I have edited /etc/apt/apt.conf and set the APT::Cache-Limit 1000000000;
No matter what size I set, it always dies on the same package (qt3-assistant). I have even tried changing the sources.list with teh same result.
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing qt3-assistant (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/state/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: Unable to write mmap - msync (12 Cannot allocate memory)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

(2) using http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html
In this one, all seems to be ok except when I try to install the kernel image. It refuses to make the initrd part of the of image. The failure notice reads:
/usr/sbin//mkinitrd: Cannot determine SCSI module
I also noticed that although lilo is installed, there is no /etc/lilo.conf file.

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated. The box was cracked earlier this week by someone sending out loads of spam a la .br style. Of course it happened while I was in a car driving home from an on-site job. I tried to do a rescue job on the machine, but I obviously missed something as they got back in and nuked the it beyond repair.

regards,
emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin