Re: GRUB woes (install to hde)

Alvin Oga wrote:
hiya matt

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Matt Price wrote:

I'm trying desperately to install grub on an auxiliary hard drive
currently living on the 3rd IDE bus (/dev/hde).

do you know if your motherboard can boot from /dev/hde ??
	- not all bios/mb supports booting from off-board controllersPower down (no shutdown).
	- stick a working disk/cd-drive in /dev/hde and see if you can
	boot it

it'd be pointless to install the grub mbr on /dev/hde if it cannot boot

[snip]

Umm, no, what he's doing is perfectly reasonable. He wants to
duplicate boot discs for use on other machines. IIUI, he doesn't
want to boot from /dev/hde ever. He wants to create a disc
connected as /dev/hde which can become /dev/hda on another
machine.

One way to do that would be to dd if=zero of=/dev/hda ...
and then make the thing a minimal bootable, then put it on
as, say, /dev/hdf and then dd if=/dev/hdf | gzip image to create a
(relatively) small image on /dev/hda. Then put on /dev/hde
and gunzip image | dd of=/dev/hde and re-create the whole thing,
but it would wind up writing the entire disc, which would be slow.
That's why I haven't mentioned it.

I've tried to figure out a way he can clone his boot for him without
writing multi-megs of data. It should be easy, but isn't, quite.

Maybe you know a way.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.