Re: GRUB woes (install to hde)

hiya matt

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Matt Price wrote:

> I'm trying desperately to install grub on an auxiliary hard drive
> currently living on the 3rd IDE bus (/dev/hde).

do you know if your motherboard can boot from /dev/hde ??
	- not all bios/mb supports booting from off-board controllers
	- stick a working disk/cd-drive in /dev/hde and see if you can
	boot it

it'd be pointless to install the grub mbr on /dev/hde if it cannot boot

than come back to grub issues

mv /boot/grub/device.map /boot/grub/device.map.old

assuming you have a working disk  /dev/hda ( aka hd0 )
assuming you have a working disk  /dev/hdc ( aka hd1 )
assuming you have a working disk  /dev/hde ( aka hd2 )

> grub> root (hd0,0)

that is wrong

> grub> setup  --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/boot/grub (hd2)

you do NOT need to type all that if you cannot guarantee you know
what yu're telling it

>  Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd2)"... failed (this is not
> fatal)

guess not

-----------

keep it simple ...
==================
grub> root (hd2,0)
grub> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-2 root=/dev/hde1
grub> setup (hd2)
grub> exit

- use the kernel you have

if you had no errors, you can now boot from /dev/hde into /dev/hde1

- download the latest legacy grub from CVS if you have any problems
http://Linux-boot.net/Loaders/Grub//Examples/GRUB-Install-From-CVS.sh.txt

c ya
alvin