Use Debian system as a RIP

Is there a way of using a Debian system as a RIP.

I have a client that has just been quoted by Xerox £11500 for a Fiery EX12
Raster Image Processor

the system is only a PIII-500 with 256MB RAM and a 9GB HDD so I am thinking
of putting together a nice hefty system and use Debian instead.

Apparently the rip just takes a PDF file then converts it to a Post Script
file and sends it to the printer. Surely there is something on Linux to do
this.

Any help or advice/experiences appreciated.

--

Regards
Peter King

www.sitedesign.net