gap in sound device numbering

Hello,

in my PC there is a single on-board sound card that works great using ALSA and
OSS emulation where necessary. The sound card is card 0 for alsa.
I have a bluetooth headset as well. Whenever I attach the bluetooth
headset, a new ALSA device for it is created, but it gets the device
number 2. 1 seems to be occupied by some kind of midi device that I
don't use and which probably is on-board as well.

For the OSS emulation, /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp2 are created by udev. No
/dev/dsp1, since the strange midi device does not have any dsp.

The problem is that I use a VoIP soft phone called "xten xlite" that
works via OSS and IGNORES /dev/dsp2, because it doesn't find /dev/dsp1
(and thinks I only have /dev/dsp then). When I symlink /dev/dsp1 to
/dev/dsp2, I can choose from 3 sound cards. But having to create this
symlink by hand everytime I want to make a telephone call via my headset
is tedious.

What is the best solution for this? Writing a udev rule (can someone
point me to a primer on how to do that)? Telling alsa to somehow ignore
the strange midi device? Maybe the number skipping in OSS dsp numbering
even is a bug (either that or the softphone is buggy)?

Thanks for any help,
Sebastian

--
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.