From: richard [mailto:recw@pobox.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 September 2005 2:53 p.m.
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: eth0 does not start during boot, but can be started manually

this is probably a simple error but I'm stuck.

System: IBM ThinkPad 570E, Debian Sarge, KDE, w/  most current updates
(I
think).  Kernel version 2.4.27-2-386.  NB.  on this machine, networking
is
via a plugin PCMCIA card.

After some upgrades:-
(kernel 2.4.27-1-386 to 2.4.27-2-386, but many other package upgrades
as well, via aptitude), networking behavior has changed.

Now, networking no  longer  starts at boot time, but can be started
(and runs
normally) after system is up (via /etc/init.d/networking start, or via
the kde network admin panel).  (this behavior is now the same with
either
kernel version)

Since I can start networking manually, I'm guessing that
configurations are correct (see 'interfaces' content below), though I
don't
understand 2 aspects of the file :-
1) the split 'auto' statement (tried replacing with a single 'auto lo
eth0'
 at top of file, but made no difference
2) the hotplug reference to eth0 (is this related to pcmcia?)

polyphony:/etc/network# cat interfaces
--------------start of interfaces---------------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map eth0

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet static
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
        dns-nameservers 207.217.126.81 207.69.188.85
        name Ethernet LAN card
        address 192.168.2.101
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.2.255
        network 192.168.2.0
        gateway 192.168.2.1

auto eth0
----------end of interfaces-------------

So might it be a runlevel script problem?

I'd much appreciate some help in diagnosing and repairing this.

Thanks!

Richard