[RESOLVED] Re: Re: upgrade problem

On 2005-09-28T13:40-0400 Filipus Klutiero wrote:

>> To reply to the list, check for example the "*Reply to:*"
>> "debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> <mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org?In-Reply-To=%3C20050922054109.GC9985@iki.fi%3E&Subject=Re:%20upgrade%20problem>"
>> on http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/09/msg02773.html
>> That works with Mozilla Thunderbird.

I am using mutt. Please feel free to forward to the thread.

>> Sorry for my last mail. I didn't check what APT was doing carefully, and
>> I thought perl was upgrading, not being removed.
>> However, I'd still need to know what releases you're using. That
>> dist-upgrade is pulling gcc4, so you obviously have some form of
>> sarge/sid mix. What's the default release? Again it would be useful to
>> have an $ apt-show-versions -u|grep unstable if your default release is
>> sarge.
>> The apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade output is
>> nevertheless surprinsingly useless.

It's not a mix. At least it shouldn't be.

bible$ sudo apt-get update
Password:
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages [3794kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Release [82B]
Get:3 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Sources [1452kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Release [84B]
Fetched 5246kB in 8s (633kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
bible$ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  apt-show-versions: Depends: perl but it is not going to be installed or
                              perl-5.005 but it is not installable or
                              perl-5.004 but it is not installable
                     Depends: libstorable-perl
E: Broken packages
bible$

AHA!!!

bible$ cat /etc/apt/preferences

Explanation: Pinned by apt-listbugs at Thu Sep 01 22:46:12 BST 2005
Explanation: #231082: spamassassin: spamc hangs since most recent perl package updates for stable Explanation: #283320: perl FTBFS on mipsel/lasat, but not on mipsel/cobalt
Package: perl
Pin: version 5.8.4-8
Pin-Priority: 1000

I removed it and it works!

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Investigating libsigc++-1.2-5c2
Investigating libaspell15
Investigating libgc1c2
Investigating libapache2-mod-php4
Investigating libsp1c2
Investigating libosp4c2
Investigating libgmp3c2
Investigating libostyle1c2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  aspell-bin libgc1 libgmp3 libosp4 libostyle1 libsigc++-1.2-5c102 libsp1
cpp-4.0 dmidecode fastjar g++-4.0 gcc-4.0 gcc-4.0-base laptop-detect libaa1 libcairo2 libcupsys2 libedit2 libfs6 libgc1c2 libgmp3c2 libgnutls12 libltdl3
  libmagick9 libmysqlclient14 libosp4c2 libostyle1c2 libpq4 libselinux1
libsepol1 libsigc++-1.2-5c2 libslang2 libsp1c2 libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.0-dev
  libxinerama1 libxxf86dga1 libxxf86vm1 linux-image-2.6-386
  linux-image-2.6.12-1-386 linux-sound-base lsb-base mysql-client-4.1
  mysql-server-4.1 openssh-client openssh-server python2.3-apt
  python2.4-minimal readline-common x11-common
  adduser alsa-base alsa-utils apache apache-common apache2-common
  apache2-mpm-worker apache2-utils apt apt-utils aptitude aspell aspell-en
aview bash binutils bitlbee bsdutils bzip2 console-common coreutils cpio cpp
  cpp-3.3 cron debhelper devscripts dictionaries-common doc-linux-text
dovecot-common dpatch dpkg dput dselect exim4 exim4-base exim4-daemon-light fakeroot fileutils findutils g++ g++-3.3 gcc gcc-3.3 gcc-3.3-base gjdoc gnupg
  grep groff-base html2text imagemagick initscripts irssi-text jikes kaffe
kaffe-common kaffe-pthreads kernel-image-2.6-386 libapache-mod-php4 libapr0
  libaspell15 libatk1.0-0 libbz2-1.0 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdbd-mysql-perl
  libdbi-perl libdps1 libgcc1 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin
  libgtk2.0-common libhtml-tagset-perl libice6 libldap2 liblircclient0
liblocale-gettext-perl libmagick6 libnewt0.51 libpam-modules libpam-runtime
  libpam0g libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libpcre3 libperl5.8 libpng12-0
  libreadline4 libreadline5 libruby1.8 libsm6 libssl0.9.7 libstdc++5
  libstdc++5-3.3-dev libsvn0 libtext-iconv-perl libx11-6 libxaw7 libxext6
  libxi6 libxml2 libxmu6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxt6 libxtst6 libxv1 login
  logrotate lsof maildrop mairix man-db module-init-tools mount mutt
mysql-client mysql-common mysql-server netbase nmap openjade openssl passwd
  pciutils perl perl-base perl-modules php4 php4-common php4-gd php4-mysql
  phpmyadmin pia pppoeconf python-apt python-newt python-sqlite
python2.3-sqlite python2.3-subversion python2.4 python2.4-examples rkhunter
  ruby1.8 scantv sed setserial shellutils sp ssh streamer subversion
  subversion-tools sudo svn-buildpackage sysv-rc sysvinit tasksel telnet
tetex-bin textutils ucf util-linux util-linux-locales v4l-conf vim vim-common
  w3m webcam whiptail whois xawtv xawtv-plugins xfree86-common xlibmesa-gl
  xlibs-data xutils
177 upgraded, 43 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 140MB/158MB of archives.
After unpacking 114MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.

About replying : I couldn't find a way to set a In-Reply-To in Thunderbird after looking for at least 10 minutes. At least it can get it from Firefox. I never used it, but I would expect mutt to be able to set In-Reply-To manually. Actually, I considered trying mutt before for that reason.

IMHO apt's error for apt-get install apt-show-versions; has something wrong since you have perl already installed. Maybe it's an apt bug. I've never seen apt-listbugs do that, good thing you thought about it. That must be ruby's fault, since all scripting languages suck...except PHP ;-P