Re: control of modules?

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:27:24PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> on a system that's been running debian for several years, I seem to
> have several systems for organizing modules on my machine --
> /etc/modules/ /etc/modules.conf, /etc/modutils, etc/modprobe.d ...
>
> I am running a stock 2.6.12 kernel now (on Sid, i386) and I get a
> bunch of "module not found" errors on boot, and I'd like to figure out
> which files to change and which command to run to stop this.  The
> debian reference manual says to run update-modules, but the man page
> says this is an obsolete command.
>
> So, any hints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> matt

Hi Matt,

if you're getting those "module not found" errors in one bunch, I'd
presume this happens during the initscript of module-init-tools, which
tries to load every module mentioned in /etc/modules. There might be
some leftovers from previous kernel/module-configurations in there.
Check the contents of the file against the error list you get, and
against the present modules in /lib/modules/2.6.12/ .

If that doesn't (or insufficiently) solve your problem, you should
post a small excerpt from your bootlog containing the error messages.

HTH,

Jan

--
Jan C. Nordholz