control of modules?

hi folks,

on a system that's been running debian for several years, I seem to
have several systems for organizing modules on my machine --
/etc/modules/ /etc/modules.conf, /etc/modutils, etc/modprobe.d ...

I am running a stock 2.6.12 kernel now (on Sid, i386) and I get a
bunch of "module not found" errors on boot, and I'd like to figure out
which files to change and which command to run to stop this.  The
debian reference manual says to run update-modules, but the man page
says this is an obsolete command.

So, any hints?

Thanks,

matt