Re: automatically partition disk as in deb-installer?

*
> > sfdisk -d /dev/hdf > /var/scratch/hde.out
>
> WARNING Will Robinson!
>
> The output from sfdisk is not always usable as input
> to sfdisk, even on the same disc, let alone another!
>
> I suggest you look carefully at the file /var/scratch/hde.out
> and verify that it looks correct and usable as input to sfdisk.
> If it contains warnings, then sfdisk will likely not process
> it properly as input.

hmm, no errors there.  here's the contents:
# partition table of /dev/hde
unit: sectors

/dev/hde1 : start=       63, size=  3871602, Id=83, bootable
/dev/hde2 : start=  3871665, size=   240975, Id= 5
/dev/hde3 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/hde4 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/hde5 : start=  3871728, size=   240912, Id=82

> > #######################
> > # restore to new disk
> > ######################
> > # write mbr
> > dd if=/var/scratch/$MBR of=/dev/hdf bs=446 count=1
> > # partition drive
> > cat /var/scratch/hde.out | sfdisk --force -f /dev/hdf
>
> Umm, these look like they're being done in the wrong order
> to me. I think you *do* need something to fiddle the geometry on
> the installed partitions, and sfdisk should do that. Then you
> also need code there. I think you may be having a problem with
> needing to install a PT along with boot code. A way to do that
> is to use sfdisk to install the PT, but use GRUB to install itself.

You say this later, but somthing that's bothered me about this is that
I don't see how to instlal grub on /dev/hde and then point it to the
proper menu.lst.  (right now, on my main workstation, / is on
/dev/hda2.  on these disks I'm formatting, / should be on the first
partition.  How do I tell grub-install to look on /dev/hda2 for the
root filesystem & the menu.lst file?)  This is probably a trivial
problem, but I guess I don't understand the docs very well.

anyway, thanks, I guess if someone can clarify the GRUB thing to me I
wil ltry it that way!
matt