Re: tar backup ok but restore errors w/ scsi dat dds2

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:18:18AM -0400, Ralph Eagle wrote:
> >so try to copy stuff to tape, again ...
> >
> >find /home/ralph | buffer | tar zcvf /dev/st0 -T -
> >
> >should sound nice and smooth .. no stopping and starting
> >- it should be a constant and steady whine
> >>I think I've exhausted my resources attacking this from the software
> >>side.
> >>Will do a little mobo swap and see what happens.
> >
> >yeah.. but first get the tar command and buffer right...
> >than spend some dough on a better mb, but no guarantee to fix
> >the original problem
> >- get a new tape cleaner and new tape
> >- try a different tape drive
> >- make sure you have enough cpu hp
> >- make sure yu have enough memory
> >- ( top -i ) should be almost no load while writing to tapes
> >c ya
> >alvin
> Ok, but only cause you asked all nice like :)
> I tried it one more time...
> Cleaned the drive with a new cleaning cart and used a new tape.
> I was the only user logged on the box and top -i showed CPU 99.7% idle
> Running a Celeron 2.4GHz w/ 512MB RAM
>
> Ran the tar through buffer:
> shinzon:~# find /usr/kbmosas/std | buffer | tar zcvf /dev/st0 -T -
> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> /usr/kbmosas/std/
> /usr/kbmosas/std/_amort
> /usr/kbmosas/std/_ascii
> /usr/kbmosas/std/_browse
> /usr/kbmosas/std/_label
> /usr/kbmosas/std/_qres
> /usr/kbmosas/std/_xkey.utl
>
> Backed up 110 files, 1.2MB without any errors from tar
>
> ok, now read the tape back:
> shinzon:~# tar tzvf /dev/st0
> drwxrws--- root/users        0 2005-08-25 10:10:35 usr/kbmosas/std/
> -rw-rw---- root/users     7516 2005-08-25 10:31:52 usr/kbmosas/std/_amort
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: Child died with signal 13
>
> = barfd
>
> I have already tried two different tape drives (seagate/sony), different
> tapes, cleaned the drive repeatedly, flashed bios on scsi with latest ver,
> updated tar to 1.15.1-2, and now tried buffer(ing). Tested writing/reading
> tar ball to hd with no problem. And there is the fact that if I put this
> scsi card and either tape drive in another box (tried two other 1- SCO Unix
> on a 486DX266 and 2- Debian Linux on a PII in testing), they work fine.
>
> This all leads me to think that the problem is the environment (mobo).
> Maybe this particular combination of mobo/scsi?
> I'll let you know what happens.
>
> Ralph Eagle
> Kubinski Business Systems

I had a similar problem with tar a while ago. I wasn't using scsi though
but just backing up files to CD and DVD. Reading the archives gave me
errors, but I can't remember if they were exactly the same as yours.

Memory test (compiling xorg :) revealed a memory problem which turned
out to be just badly installed memory module. Reinstalling the modules
solved my problem and all was fine after that.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature