Re: Someone is breaking etch (testing)?

--- cmetzler@speakeasy.net wrote:

> > If this is its
> > intended pupose, wouldn't it be a good idea to try to assure that
> large
> > scale problems are kept to a minimum?
>
> No, because that isn't its intended purpose.

This being the case, is it possible (and relatively easy) for me to set
up my own private mirror with an extra distribution sitting between
stable and testing into which I can manually move packages from testing
or unstable when I think they are ready?

> (and that's without even getting into the subject that testing does
> not get direct security updates.  Stable does.  Unstable effectively
> gets them through uploads.  Testing doesn't get them until the
> packages
> trickle down from unstable, which could take a long while depending
> on
> the situation.  So running testing requires *a lot* more effort on
> keeping up to date with security issues.)

This is not true any more.  As of the beginning of the month, security
updates are available for testing:

  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/09/msg01029.html>