Re: HELP- Grub problem, I can't load WInXP SOLVED

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 12:42, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Since your WinXP on /dev/hda1 is a FAT32 partition, one thing that might
> work is to use the backup boot sector that is kept on FAT32 file systems
> to restore the WinXP boot sector on /dev/hda1.
>
> dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hda1 bs=512 count=1 skip=6
>
> The above dd command will read the 7th sector (or sector 6) of the
> partition, and then write it to the 1st sector (or sector 0). The 7th
> sector is where the backup boot sector is stored on FAT32. The "skip"
> means it will skip over the first 6 sectors when reading from the
> partition - since you are interested in the 7th sector.
>
> GRUB should have only overwritten the 1st sector of the partition.
>
> Tom

Tom, I cannot thank you enough! Your instructions worked flawlessly. I can't
believe that your dd command managed to fix something that Microsoft's own
fixboot and fixmbr commands could not. You have saved me a lot of time and
money, thank you very much.

Regards,
Andy