Re: I can not boot in single user mode without root password

rosetta:

>   I am using the kernel-2.6.11-1-386 and grub.
>   In boot menu, I have choosed the "recovery mode". But while the
> system boot completely, it prompt "Give root password for
> mantenance(or Control-D to continue):".
>   If I press ctrl+d, then it will use normal runlevel.

It's a feature. Imagine everyone who is able to reboot your machine had
immediate root access. I wouldn't even want that behaviour on my desktop
at home. Not to mention my laptop...

My advice: use a rescue CD to edit your /etc/passwd or chroot into your
environment.

J.
--
There is no justice in road accidents.