Re: I can not boot in single user mode without root password

> system boot completely, it prompt "Give root password for
> mantenance(or Control-D to continue):".
>   If I press ctrl+d, then it will use normal runlevel.
>   How can I use 1 runlevel if I forget the root password in grub?

Hi.

I guess you'll have to use a "rescue" CD. A knoppix CD
will do. A tomsrtbt floppy should work as well.

You'll have to mount the filesystem, reset the root
password and then log in again.

Depending on your setup (how many partitions you have),
you might try to edit the boot parameters in GRUB
(with 'e' ) and pass "init=/bin/sh". (I haven't tried this
myself, but GRUB should allow it).

Regards.

--
Homepage : http://geocities.com/arhuaco

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself
and you are the easiest person to fool.
     -- Richard Feynman.