Re: pointer for home networking

michael wrote:

>I've had a look about but can't find a basic guide to setting up a home
>network. There seems much discussion of 'deeper' stuff but I'm stymied for
>setting up my first home Debian/Linux network.
>
>I've a computer that did have Internet connection via ethernet to a modem
>router. It's now connected to Internet by a USB modem.

If the USB modem still has an ethernet connection, go buy yourself a
router (unless the modem really is a router also, as you imply - you'll
need at least two ethernet jacks on it). Also, you might consider
getting a wireless-capable router, for when you get a laptop. The router
will most likely have 3 or 4 ethernet jacks. Plug the router into the modem.

>I've a second computer with an ethernet card.
>
>So all I want to do is connect the latter to the former such that both can
>access the Internet...

Plug each machine into the router (disconnect the USB/modem connection).

So now you have your DSL/Cable/Satellite broadband connection coming
into the house, which is plugged into the modem. The modem is plugged
into the multi-port router. And the PCs are plugged into the router.
Reboot/restart networking on each PC, and you'll probably have instant
access.

Fire up a web browser on one of the PCs, and point the web browser to
whatever address the router's paper works indicates. This will connect
you to a web interface (probably) configuration screen for configuring
your router. You can tighten up your router (maybe it has a firewall you
can turn on, or restrict wireless to discourage drive-by-net-accesses,
etc) from within this utility.

--
Kent West
Technology Support