Re: ReiseFS vs XFS

On Monday 26 September 2005 11:25 am, Dick Davies wrote:
> On 26/09/05, Daniel Garcia <danitous@yahoo.es> wrote:
> > Why is it interesting to have a different partition
> > for / and for /home? I have never seen the point in a
> > home computer.

You mentioned a "home" computer. I have more than one system in my home that
are multiuser, which kicks in security rules. Personally, I have four rules
for partitioning securely.  Rules 1 and 2 grew out of the days when filling /
would kill the machine. Rule 3 came from my use of RdHat :). I create a
separate partition for:

* any filesystem a user can write to directly (e.g. /home, /tmp)
* any filesystem a user can write to indirectly (e.g. /var)
* any filesystem you want to save the information on (e.g. /usr/local, /opt)

> > Isnt it more painful to have to calculate
> > the size for each partition

> Besides, with LVM (yes, I am an LVM cheerleader) you don't have to know
> the size in advance -
> give it a gb and you can always grow it afterwards.
> I'm actually starting to think about giving each user their own
> partition, since it's so little hassle.

I am an LVM fan too. Its too easy that any box I build (including laptops)
uses LVM.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |