Re: ReiseFS vs XFS
On 26/09/05, Daniel Garcia <email@example.com> wrote:
> Why is it interesting to have a different partition
> for / and for /home? I have never seen the point in a
> computer. Isnt it more painful to have to calculate
> the size for each partition
off the top of my head:
* If /home gets hosed, you can still get in single-user to fix/restore it.
* same for backups
* you can set quotas on a per-partition basis.
* one dumb user (possibly you) is not going to be able to fill /
* you can reuse /home between different Linuxes
* when you reinstall, skip formatting /home and you don't lose your data
Besides, with LVM (yes, I am an LVM cheerleader) you don't have to know
the size in advance -
give it a gb and you can always grow it afterwards.
I'm actually starting to think about giving each user their own
partition, since it's so little hassle.
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns