Re: GRUB bootloader issue

Jeremy Merritt wrote:

> I tried that and it seemed to work. When I ran
> 'grub-install /dev/hda5' it reported 'no errors' and
> seemed to execute successfully. However, upon reboot,
> I am back to XP bootup. Is there another step that I
> need to include?
>
> Steps so far:
>
> 1. Boot up with live CD (Knoppix)
> 2. Activate shell and go root
> 3. Mount /dev/hda5 as /mnt/hda5
> 4. chroot /mnt/hda5 /bin/bash
> 5. grub-install /dev/hda5

(snip)

The MBR did not get updated: still points to XP.  I wonder whether live
Knoppix allows write access to the MBR.

I prefer to re-install MBR by booting grub from a floppy.  My Linux boot
partition is hda3, so:

grub> root (hd0,2)
 Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x93
grub> setup (hda)
grub> reboot

This doesn't install grub, it just writes the MBR.  You could use
grub> root (hd1,x)
grub setup (hda)
if your grub boot files are in hdb(x+1).