Building gcc-4.0 source package under i386

Could a developer subscribed to the list explain the following
anomaly to me? I had always assumed that amd64 was a separate
architecture. With the amd64 libs installed, the gcc-4.0 source
package fails to build on my machine.

alpha:~# uname -m
i686
alpha:~# apt-get build-dep gcc-4.0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package libc6-dev-amd64 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
  amd64-libs amd64-libs-dev lib64gcc1
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
E: Package libc6-dev-amd64 has no installation candidate
E: Failed to process build dependencies