Re: apt-get dist-upgrade and cron

On Sunday 25 Sep 2005 00:04, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Hi folks.  One question (which will really be my first question in the
> mailing list).  I would like to run the following as a nightly cron job (in
> script format):
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> What would I need to do to get this to work?  Mainly, how do I get the cron
> job to run as root?
> --
> Robert Wolfe, MCP
> robert@wolfe.mine.nu

> Message sent using UebiMiau v 2.7.8 [Debian GNU/Linux for Sparc64 'Etch']

I really would not recommend doing this just in case things go wrong. If you
are running anything other than stable, then you would be just asking for
trouble. (Your signature implies that you are running testing.)

However, I would presume that what you are really asking is "How do I find out
what utilities are available to me to achieve this task?"

The answer is to issue the command:

   apt-cache search apt cron

This asks the package management system what tools include the words "apt" and
"cron" in their name and/or description.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,