Re: Horizontal and Vertical Refresh rates for 15.4 inch Wide-Screen

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 12:46:25AM -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> I recently acquired a laptop with an LCD 15.4 wide-screen display with
> resolution of 1280 x 800 and 60MHz refresh rate. I have googled and have not
> come up with the answer to this question: What are the Horizontal and
> Vertical Refresh Rates for this screen? I need to know so that when I set it
> to this resolution, it will not give me two different versions of what I
> should be seeing. Basically, it is un-usable.

Which _MODEL_ laptop? Which chipset? What does dmesg | less tell you?

Does it work in 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and then fail to do 1280x960?

Does it fail altogether? Do you get a blank screen at any time as the
laptop display is overdriven?

If in doubt, always use 800x600, 1024x768 at 60Hz on any unknown screen.

If you've got two different versions of what you
should see, displaced from one another, you're possibly overdriving the
screen - set it back to 1024x768 or 1152x960 for the interim

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (or xserver-xorg).

Which Debian version? Stable/testing/unstable?

Please supply more information to enable the list to help further.

For example:

Foobar laptop, 1024M RAM, Intel Celeron processor at 1.4GHz, model
foo1234. Chipset NVIDIA <blah> with 64M of memory shared with
motherboard. Distribution Debian stable, xserver xfree86
4.3.0.dfsg.1-1<blah>. Using the nv drivers currently, Nvidia proprietary
drivers not installed.

Machine has a 15.4 in widescreen. Experiencing display setting problems.
In particular, switching from the standard desktop to run penguinracer
(which switches display modes) and switching back causes screen
corruption. Setting screen resolution in an attempt to get 1280 x 800
fails with double images ...

Try googling for

1280 x 800 screen resolution laptop Linux xfree86 config

as a start.

Using the first form of the entry, I can find about six config files
as a start for various laptops in the first fifteen entries.
That gave me 31700 entries: by close spacing 1280x800, that brought it
down to about 576 entries, adding Toshiba to the end of the search
string narrowed it down still further.