RE: unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed

<...>

> It looks like either you don't have eject installed, it is installed in
> the wrong place, your PATH is incorrect, or Gnome is pointing to the
> wrong place. What happens if you insert a CDROM into the drive, close
> all windows accessing it, and do
>
> $ umount /media/cdrom (or /mnt/cdrom, or wherever you mount it)
> $ eject -r
>
> in a terminal?

eject is not there, nor are its man pages.  I installed the eject package
and now "eject -r" works, as does the gnome eject command!  Looks like this
is a third bug to report: missing dependency in gnome installation (or would
you call it something else?).  Thanks, Mike and Wackojacko for all the help.

The last thing I need to make this a permanent workaround is the proper init
script in which to put the "hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc" call so it happens on every
reboot.  It needs to run with root privileges.  Alternatively, is there a
configuration file somewhere, that I have not been able to locate in the
Debian reference, the Debian website or the man pages, that would allow me
to disable DMA on that drive without an explicit call to hdparm?

--

Seth Goodman