Adding system memory to graphics video...

Hi,

I have an old system with graphics integrated in the mother board.
The graphics chipset includes 4 MB of memory.  I attached 512 MB of
RAM to the mother board, so I have 512 MB of system memory.  I'd like
to dedicate 32 MB from system memory to graphics memory so that I can
reach ~36 MB of video memory.  This because 4 MB is too litle and
besides none of the internal intel card drivers work so I have to use
svga driver, and whith such little memory this driver allows no more
than 1024x768 resolution...

I've read it's possible to inhibit system memory at boot time so that
it gets picked by, but I don't know what to do with it, ex:

image=/boot/vmlinuz             # or whatever image there is
append="mem=480m"           # leave some memory for graphics

So what's next?  How should I specify to use the left memory for video purposes?

Thanks,

--
Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas