mouse driver doesn't detect my scroll wheel

Hi

I have a laptop with a trackpoint and a PS/2 port for external mice.
When I plug in a 3 button mouse to the PS/2 port, it works fine, but
the scroll wheel doesn't do anything. This seems to be a driver
problem rather than an X problem, as "cat /dev/input/mice" doesn't
show any output when I move or click the scroll wheel.

My dmesg shows:

input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1

So I guess it is recognizing my trackpoint as a PS/2. Is there any way
to force the psmouse driver to treat my external mouse right?

cheers
dave