Re: setting up environment variables

Dom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please tell me if I'm doing this right and if not what
> I'm doing wrong as I'm a newbie trying to get acquainted with the
> linux system. I want to make every application that wishes to use my
> /tmp folder on my linux partition to use a custom folder on another
> partition (looks like I made my linux partition too small for my needs
> and need to free some space now).

[snip]

Appart from the useful answers others have given to the env vars "way",
you can go another way (in this particular case). If the problem is the
size of the /tmp partition (or /, where /tmp probably resides), you
could always move the current /tmp folder to somewhere else (another
partition with lots of free space), then create a soft link: ln -s
/newdir /tmp. This way, the settings of the system will stay unchanged.

     Basajaun