Re: converting CHM files

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 06:47:42AM -0500, Robert D. Crawford wrote:
> otto.wyss@orpatec.ch (Otto Wyss) writes:
>
> > Robert D. Crawford <rdc1x@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I have been working on this for longer than I think I should have.
> > >I have some CHM files that I need to convert for 'reading'.  I would
> > >use
> >
> > Have you tried chmviewer
>
> No.  I went to the site and then tried to run it through babelfish with
> no joy.
>
> BTW, is this a graphical program?  There is a lot of mention of the
> wxwidgets toolkit on the site.  Does it read the filename on the command
> line and then possibly output text or an html document(s)?  Perhaps I
> was not clear when I said that I was blind and needed to get the file
> into a buffer or w3m under emacs.

The chmlib-tools package contains some low-level type programs which can be
used to unpack chm and manipulate chm files:

       test_chmLib - extracts a file out of a chm file
       extract_chmLib - extracts a chm file into a directory
       enumdir_chmLib - lists the contents of chm file(s)
       enum_chmLib - lists the contents of a chm file
       chm_http - simplistic web server to allow browsing of chm files
       		  without extracting them

These tools seem to be fairly crude, but you may be able to do somethng
useful with them.

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to