Re: Want to set apt pin-priority lower for none debian sites

Florian Sukup wrote:
Thank you for your email.

I want to assign a lower priority to packages which come from other sites than debian.org.

The problem: testing is my target release. In my sources.list there the following entries:

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian stable main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://www.linex.org/sources/linex/debian sarge linex

# apt-cache policy mozilla-firefox
mozilla-firefox:
Installed: 1.0.6-1.linex1
Candidate: 1.0.6-1.linex1
Version Table:
   1.0.6-5 0
      400 http://ftp.at.debian.org unstable/main Packages
*** 1.0.6-1.linex1 0
      990 http://www.linex.org sarge/linex Packages
      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
   1.0.4-2sarge3 0
      500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
      990 http://ftp.at.debian.org testing/main Packages
   1.0.4-2 0
      400 http://ftp.at.debian.org stable/main Packages

But this is not what I want. I want to have 1.0.4-2sarge3 0 installed. Automatically!

Does anyone know, if this possible (by changing the apt_preferences, for example).

man apt_preferences, include

APT::Default-Release "testing";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf (create one if you don't have one)

then include something like

Package: *
         Pin: release a=unstable
         Pin-Priority: 500

in /etc/apt/preferences (again may need to create)

This should prevent unstable packages being given the same, or higher priority as testing.

I tried that but didn't work. Seems logical to me. The linex packages are also denoted as testing. Therefore, this doesn't work.

I really need to give to all packages of a certain site a lower priority.
Any idea?

Florian.

I had the same problem with Ubuntu packages trying to upgrade unstable packages and put

Package:*
Pin: origin "ubuntu"
Pin-Priority: 100

in my preferences file so they will only install if they are the only version of that package available e.g. mplayer-amd64 is not in debain proper so it is installed.

AFAIK this will only work if the 'origin' flag is set on the package from linex.

HTH

Wackojacko