Re: recover data from a hd

<snip>
> How old was it when it died?
>
> I've been using Maxtors since 1992 (250MB), and never had a problem.
>
> But, my current 120GB Maxtor is starting to get a bit noisy, so
> a new one is on the way from New Egg.

It was probably older than a year. I had bought it
because my Hitachi/IBM had failed
before too. Alvin is probably right - they (the hd manufacturers) use in 90% of
the cases the same technology and machines so there should be only a small
difference between the different drives.

Anyway, I bought a Samsung 200Gb because it was the cheapest one and because the
others available were IBM and Maxtor so let's see whether Samsung is better.
Meanwhile, dd_rescue is almost done raw-reading the failed one after almost
24hrs.

Thanks,
		Boris.