Re: reusing deb files

Robert Storey wrote:

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can "reuse" deb files on another machine. Let me explain more clearly:

If, for example, I do "apt-get install mmv", the package mmv_1.01b-12.2_i386.deb will be downloaded into directory /var/cache/apt/archives/ and then installed.

That's fine, but I have several computers running Debian. Let's say I copy this deb file onto another machine, also to directory /var/cache/apt/archives/ and then reissue the command "apt-get install mmv". What happens is that the deb file is ignored and the file gets downloaded again, and then installed.
That doesn't sound right to me. Did you do an apt-get update on both machines first? (Of course you did.) I don't know, but I did this with the packages on the CD (just copied them to /var/cache/apt/archives) and it worked for me without having to download them.