reusing deb files

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can "reuse" deb files on another
machine. Let me explain more clearly:

If, for example, I do "apt-get install mmv", the package
mmv_1.01b-12.2_i386.deb will be downloaded into
directory /var/cache/apt/archives/ and then installed.

That's fine, but I have several computers running Debian. Let's say I copy
this deb file onto another machine, also to
directory /var/cache/apt/archives/ and then reissue the command "apt-get
install mmv". What happens is that the deb file is ignored and the file gets
downloaded again, and then installed.

Is there a way I can avoid the necessity for downloading the same file again
for every machine? The only way I can figure to do this is to burn the deb
files onto a CDROM and issue a "apt-cdrom -d /cdrom add" to add the CDROM
to /etc/apt/sources.list. This is kind of a kludge. I'm familiar with OpenBSD
and FreeBSD, and with those OS's, any packages or ports you download can also
be copied to other machines and installed directly. I'm just wondering if
there is a way to do this with Debian?

thanks in advance,
Robert