Re: Mouse Driver, Evdev, Xorg SDK Problems

David R. Litwin wrote:
I bought a mouse to-day with (in X terms) ten buttons. To use all of them, I need the evdev driver (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=1745 (be ware: that is a direct link to the download)). I have found this out from http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=46. They say that to use this driver, I need Xorg SDK. Apparently, I do not yet have it, for running the

./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 --with-xorg-sdk=/usr/X11R6/lib/Server

for the evdev driver gives

checking for valid Xorg SDK... configure: error: Unable to find xf86Version.h under /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/include and /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/xc/include

I googled it and found a post indicating that I needed to get the source of Xorg, then do a make install.sdk (possibly doing make World first).

Doing make World resulted in errors. Doing make install.sdk also resulted in errors. And, as I wrote above, doing

./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 --with-xorg-sdk=/usr/X11R6/lib/Server

results in errors.

What further information, if any, do I need to provide to reach a satisfactory conclusion? What, in essence, do I have to do to make this work?

What mouse?
I have an A4Tech WOP-35PU with 2 wheels, making 9 buttons and indeed evdev is the thing to make all things work. I use Debian Sarge with 2.6.11/12/13 and evdev works out of the box.

Before you go and move creation around, what does evtest say:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linuxconsole/ruby/utils/evtest.c

I use the vanilla Sarge XFree86 driver with the evtest protocol and everything is found. One button more cannot be the reason you need to go through all of that.

I just did the Xorg source thing for a different reason: my Sarge CD's are level 11/24/2005 and so I cannot use the Xorg backport. So I installed Xorg from the Debian sources. make World is the thing and it sure does work. I backed off because although Mozilla worked fine, I got hits when it used the Flashplayer plugin.

HTH