Help with Defoma (Installing Hindi fonts in Debian)

Hi,

I've downloaded Akshar.ttf (unicode hindi font) and want to install it
'system-wide', i.e. all applications installed on the system should be
able to use it.

I tried using 'defoma' (DEbian FOnt MAnager) to install the font, but
have not been successful. Here's what I did:

# mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/indian
# cp Akshar.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/indian
# defoma-font register truetype Akshar.ttf

Then I looked in /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/A but the symlink for
Akshar.ttf was not there.

I read through the manpage of defoma-font and figured out that a 'font
hint' was required. This is what I did:

#defoma-hints truetype Akshar.ttf
Wait for second...
defoma-hints Can't locate FreeType.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 3) line 2.
\n[nanda@nandz tmp]$locate FreeType.pm

Can anyone help me out?

Nandz.
PS: I tried searching the archive to see if a similar query had been
answered before, but could not find anything related. If, incase I
have missed out something, please send me a link to the relevant
discussion.
--
http://nandz.blogspot.com
http://foodieforlife.blogspot.com