PPPD problems

Hi, looking for help regarding PPP options.

I am using Sarge and my dialup has to reconnect several times before
actually linking to the internet.  I was thinking maybe I need to add an
option (like I had to with "noauth".)  I thought maybe some kind of ip
compression is confusing my dial up provider.  I remember once on window
them telling me to turn off compression on ip headers.  Anybody been
through this?  Can anybody tell me what options to try first?

Thanks,
---
Scotty