Re: Spammassassin Problems

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 12:42:46PM -0400, Cipher Trust Support wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Debian, I have been using SuSE since 5.3 and have just move
> to Debian.

Welcome aboard :)

> I am having a problem getting Spamassassin to work correctly. It's running.
>
> I have turn it in default and I am see process...
>
> ps ax | grep spam
>  1657 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/spamd --create-prefs
> --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -d --pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid
>  1727 ?        S      0:00 spamd child
>  1728 ?        S      0:00 spamd child
>  1729 ?        S      0:00 spamd child
>  1730 ?        S      0:00 spamd child
>  1731 ?        S      0:00 spamd child
>
> But, I am not seeing anything in the headers nor and I seeing anything
> in Subject rewrites. I am using my conf from SuSE that was work and have
> install all the Perl files and adjusted my master.cf for postfix and
> procmail. But it still not rewriting or doing what it suppose to.
>
> cat /etc/procmailrc
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin
> SHELL=/bin/sh

You might want to set LOGFILE=/path/to/log to see what your recipes are
doing.

> :0fw
> | /usr/bin/spamassassin
> * <300000

Isn't this the wrong way? The action should be the last line in a
recipe. This could mess the rest of the recipes. Besides, you are using
the spamd/spamc, so you should comment that out anyway.

Here is my .procmailrc which works for me:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail          #you'd better make sure it exists
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/log        #recommended
SPAM=$MAILDIR/spam
BACKUP=$MAILDIR/backup

# SpamAssassin sample procmailrc
# ==============================

# The following line is only used if you use a system-wide /etc/procmailrc.
# See procmailrc(5) for infos on what it exactly does, the short version:
#  * It ensures that the correct user is passed to spamd if spamc is used
#  * The folders the mail is filed to later on is owned by the user, not
#    root.
#DROPPRIVS=yes

# Pipe the mail through spamassassin (replace 'spamassassin' with 'spamc'
# if you use the spamc/spamd combination)
#
# The condition line ensures that only messages smaller than 250 kB
# (250 * 1024 = 256000 bytes) are processed by SpamAssassin. Most spam
# isn't bigger than a few k and working with big messages can bring
# SpamAssassin to its knees.
#
# The lock file ensures that only 1 spamassassin invocation happens
# at 1 time, to keep the load down.
#
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamc

# All mail tagged as spam (eg. with a score higher than the set threshold)
# is moved to "spam".
:0:
$SPAM

> :0fw
> $/dev/null
> DROPPRIVS=yes
>
> #:0fw
> #| /usr/bin/spamc
> # Mark spam
> :0 f
> | /usr/bin/spamc -x

This could be a working recipe, but the recipe above could mess it
up.

> :0:
> /dev/null
>

> master.cf

For the subject rewriting I have /etc/spamassassin/local.cf:

# This is the right place to customize your installation of SpamAssassin.
#
# See 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for details of what can be
# tweaked.
#
#
rewrite_header Subject *** SPAM_SCORE_
# report_safe 1
# trusted_networks 212.17.35.
# lock_method flock

> Can someone please point me to link or explain to me what I need to do
> get it work on debian?
>
> Payne

Simo
--