Re: Apache2: httpd.conf or apache2.conf?

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

On mandag 19 september 2005, 06:53, Steve Dondley wrote:
The README file that came with Debian doesn't cover the difference
between the httpd.conf file and the apache2.conf file.  Is the
httpd.conf file basically obsolete?

I haven't had time to look into it at depth, but I think the answer is yes. I've got everything in apache2.conf file, friends said it should be there, and independently at work, they've deleted httpd.conf entirely. So, that's the safest bet, I think.
Yick. I wouldn't delete the httpd.conf file. Other software that you install may want to modify the httpd.conf file, which is why it's there for "backward compatibility." I would bet that none of the debian packages will modify this file, but if you want to install a package that isn't the debian distrobution, often they will try to make modifications to the httpd.conf file. And this would definitely be true for commercial packages (e.g. coldfusion).

Angelo