Re: Howto make the computer beep when system is halted?

--- Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some Linux distributions make make the computer play a beep-sound
> when
> the computer is halted which is quite useful for shutting down
> screenless servers.
>
> Is this also possible with debian?

Some time ago I had a problem with a server that would not power down
automatically so I added the following lines to /etc/init.d/halt to
make it beep continually when it had shut down fully:

    while test true
    do
      echo -e "\a"
      sleep 1
    done

This should come after the 'halt' statement and before the ': exit 0'.

However, if your computer automatically powers down I do not think it
will ever reach the 'echo -e "\a"', which causes the beep.

Hope that helps,

Joe