Re: watching an avi

Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 04:42:14PM -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 07:48:26PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > > System:
> > > 	KM4M-V motherboard with onboard video using via driver
> > > 	1-gig of ram (using less than 300mb)
> > > 	Running testing so have switched to X-org
> > >
> > > Most of the time I can watch avi videos using xine with no problem, even
> > > full screen. Sometimes xine runs but the display window remains black
> > > and the sound plays fine. At least once when this happened I was able to
> > > view the avi with kaboodle after which xine then worked properly.
> > >
> > > Now xine, kaboodle, and noatrun are all failing.
> >
> > Try maplayer, also install from the same marillat site the win32 codex
>
> How will that either solve or analyse the problem?

If your problem isn't not being able to play a video, then, logically,
mplayer won't help, no. Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Antonio's answer is helpful because:

1) It might solve your problem. Mplayer could actually be able to
suceed where others failed.

2) It might help analyze the problem, e.g.: if mplayer w/o win32 codecs
can't play your video, but w/ them it can, then the problem is missing
codecs. If Mplayer, be it w/ or w/o codecs, can play the video, then
the problem is on the other playes. OTOH, if mplayer also fails, the
problem could be either X.org or a corrupted video or... God knows.

It might help "analyzing" the problem, if you stated it more clearly,
like, for example, if the players fail with a given new video, or they
also fail with videos that the had "always" been able to play.

Maybe it's a silly question, but from:

> unix_connect: can't connect to server
> (unix:/tmp/mcop-rick/mnr_niof_net-7c4f-432ca596)

I'd make the wild guess that maybe your /tmp is full? Either that or
maybe the $DISPLAY is set wrong (another wild guess)?

Does it help to "killall artsd" before running the player? I ask it
because of the following, although kaboodle seems to be handling it
correctly:

> There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...
>... cleaned 5 unused mcop global references.

     Basajaun